Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's National Geographic's 122nd Birthday

One of my fondest memories about my father was when he shared to me his collection of National Geographic magazines. It was back in the mid-80's and i'm still a kid, not more than 8-years old. I have that moment frozen in the cloud of my memories. That one moment stirred my love for reading. That one moment showed to me how incredible the world is. 

So National Geographic has been integral in how i saw the world; on how i perceive it until now. National Geographic is a personal icon. And even if i did not continue my father's subscription to the magazine, I have become addicted to the NGC (Thank you for television!).

But of course, nothing compares to that exciting sensation of flipping through the pages of a physical, tangible magazine and devouring all the pictures, all those amazing photographs that continue to reflect how our world continues to evolve.

Below are some of the covers (compiled and featured by Wired) to celebrate National Geographic Society's 122nd Anniversary yesterday, January 27. 

From the article:
The National Geographic Society celebrates its 122nd anniversary on Jan. 27. The first issue of the magazine was published nine months later in 1888. Though the early issues had rather drab academic-looking covers, by 1959 they were consistently adorned with eye-catching art and photos.

Here we’ve collected some of our favorite covers from 1959 to 2000, including a penguin with a high-tech backpack, a self-portrait by Koko the gorilla and a shark attack.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails