Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In books, i like the I's and the We's

Last night i started reading Suzanne Collins' Catching Fire, the second book to the popular book-turned-movie The Hunger Games, that is currently on-schedule for its theatrical release as well.

Although i am not exactly a big aficionado of 'pop' fiction books, especially those that have received and benefited from massive media attention and promotion (not saying that these 'pop' books are no good, it's just, well, a matter of personal preference for which i am totally entitled to, thank you), i decided to give the book a try before before seeing the movie and face the possibility of spoiling the integrity of the book for me.

And i was pleasantly surprised. Reading the first few pages, i found it actually interesting and most likely worth the reading time. How do i know it's good? Or entertaining at the very least?

It has something to do with how the author, in this case Collins, opens the book. Over the years, i came to realize that i am attracted to books using the first person perspective. So there goes a lot of I's and We's. The book has to stand upon something and come directly from somebody. I don't like it when the 'driver' of the book is also a spectator; i want to be the only spectator and not feel like there's another person watching how the books unfolds with me.

I think reading a book is a very personal thing and that the experience that one gathers in the journey of the story is very exclusive to the one reading it.

I don't want somebody else telling me about the characters dilemnas; i want to hear and know it from the characters themselves.

I don't want somebody else telling me how blissful and passionate they made love; i want to know the details first hand.

-----------------

On other news: There's a sadness that seems to have swallowed me whole today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails